Be the master of self


“Stand up, be bold, be strong. Take the whole responsibility on your own shoulders, and know that you are the creator of your own destiny. All the strength and succor you want is within yourselves.”
~ Swami Vivekananda (CW.II.225)

If anyone asks us why are you not successful ? We will have number of reasons. Human tendency is to point a finger and say that you did it to me. We always blame someone or something and run away. We are at a whim of the wind and floating around with nothing going for us.
We may have a stiff attitude and say, “You are responsible, not me! So you need to change!” How childish it is that we are willing to change everybody and everything around us where we have no control, and not willing to change our own self where we have control !

A boss is willing to change an employee and an employee is willing to change his boss or a company! Parents are willing to change their children and children are willing to change their parents! A husband is willing to change his wife and a wife is willing to change his husband! The energy we spend in making efforts to change others, if we spend half of that energy in changing self, many problems can be solved! When we transcend our understanding we realize that obstacle is not outside, it is inside, it is in mind. It's in me. In our own thoughts and feelings.

Mostly where we make a mistake, when we face any difficulty or problem, we try to manage outer situation. Here the main game takes place that we are not able to understand that problem is not there in outer world, but it is in inner world. We always try to fix outside, never try within.

When I blame something else as a reason of problem, I refuse to accept my responsibility to create it. This is the root cause of failure in life for which a man fails to recognize. This is the matrix that God has created and I play a victim role. Being a victim I can not change it and I throw off the power to change that God has gifted me. The moment I accept my responsibility that I have created it, next step comes that I am able to change it.

We are very found of Destiny. We plead that what can we do if not having good stars. We  believe more in stars than own self and God. This is a weak psychology and reason behind is… many times we indulge in spirituality but still being driven by blind beliefs. Spirituality makes us think when we apply it meaningfully. Nothing will fall into place, until I do. First I should believe in self and God. Don't fathom into constellations.

Some are crippled by dependency on instruments or other people. We find fault with tools or lack of proper guidance or anything else. I would say that this is an escapism. I am running away by using an excuse. This will also not lead us to the success. I need to be self reliant in this case. How long will I waste in finding fault. By reading good books definitely I can make my way.

God has gifted us an intellect with a free will. We are free to choose. We are not puppets and the world is not a puppet show. Man can realize that he is able to change his circumstances if he becomes aware with light of knowledge. So don't wonder around or wait for somebody to come or something to happen and change life. It is we that make change, it is we that make difference in own life. Don't let it happen, make it happen.

“God has gifted us a free will, ego and we reap what we sow. We are the makers of our own fate. None else has the blame, none has the praise. The wind is blowing; those vessels whose sails are unfurled catch it, and go forward on their way, but those which have their sails furled do not catch the wind. Is that the fault of the wind?”
~ Swami Vivekananda  (CW.II.224)

Wonderful Sanskrit Subhashit…

यस्य नास्ति स्वयं प्रज्ञा शास्त्रं तस्य करोति किम् ।
लोचनाभ्यां विहीनस्य दर्पणः किं करिष्यति ॥

जिसे स्वयं की प्रज्ञा (तेज बुद्धि) नहीं उसे शास्त्र किस काम का ? अंधे मनुष्य को दर्पण किस काम का ?

Who has no own wisdom, to him knowledge has no meaning. A mirror has no meaning who has no eyes.

“You are the makers of your own fortunes. You make yourselves suffer, you make good and evil and it is you who put your hands before your eyes and say it is dark. Take your hands away and see the light.”
~ Swami Vivekananda

In every religion it is said that Man is the unique creation of God. In Bhagavad Gita God said, "Every soul is my creation." Bible said, "Man is made in the image of God."  Shakespeare said, "Man is the crown of creation." So It is an infinite and doubtless truth that God has created us. And accordingly "Power of Creation" has also been gifted with.

So recognize that we are potentially divine and we have the power to create circumstances we desire. Let us change the rigor. Let us own the power to change. Let us have the courage and accept the responsibility. Let us take the charge of the ship and sail in the direction we want. Let us be a dreamer not a drifter.

God stated in Bhagavad Gita..

उद्धरेदात्मनात्मानं नात्मानमवसादयेत् ।
आत्मैव ह्यात्मनो बन्धुरात्मैव रिपुरात्मनः ॥ ५ ॥

मनुष्य को अपना उद्धार  खुद ही करना चाहिए । अपने आप को गिराना नहीं चाहिए । मनुष्य स्वयं ही अपना बन्धु और स्वयं ही अपना शत्रु भी है ।

I must elevate myself, I must not let myself degrade. I am a good friend of mine and I am a worse enemy of mine.

I can recall wonderful lines from poem “Invictus”

“Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.”

People are very much enthusiastic to change the Nation and the World. We should appreciate them as at least they have will to change something. But how the world will be changed if I am not willing to be changed.. Unless and until I am ready to bring change in self, nothing will be changed. Nation or World will be changed by my own example not by admonition.

“We are responsible for what we are; and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. If what we are now has been the result of our own past actions, it certainly follows that whatever we wish to be in future can be produced by our present actions’ so we have to know how to act.”
~ Swami Vivekananda (CW.I.31)

In management there are two terms.. (1) Area of influence (2) Area of concern. I may have concern that what President should do, but I don't have influence on that. Rather than focusing on giving an opinion and an advice to others, let us focus on self study and self change, where I really have influence.

I have observed that people have reckless and meaningless attitudes about own life and others. I pity them as they are not able to understand importance of an attitude and how it plays a vital role in building life. First thing is that I should understand the role of own attitude in building life. Let us develop the positive mind set and will to change.

If I am willing to change each area of my life, I must start changing thoughts. It's all in the state of mind. Read good, think good, feel good and do good. Nurture a company of good books and good friends. Change will occur from thought to feeling, feeling to action, action to habit, habit to character and character to destiny. Change will occur from a man to the family, a family to the society, a society to the nation and a nation to the world. As a man is the cell of the society, when a man will be changed every thing will be changed. Let us be a candle in the dark. Let us be a ray of hope in the age of crisis.

So Bring change. Transform self. Sublime with good qualities. Ultimately we are contributing to the nation and the world in a positive way. Be positive, stray positive. Stay motivated, inspire others. Ultimately good will be increased and come back to us as more good. Happy reading…

Let me end up this article with a Sanskrit Subhashit..

आत्मैव ह्यात्मनो बन्धुरात्मैव रिपुरात्मनः।
आत्मैव ह्यात्मनः साक्षी कृतस्यापकृतस्य च।।
~ महाभारत,स्त्री पर्व

मनुष्य आप ही अपना बंधु (हित चाहनेवाला) है और आप ही अपना शत्रु (अहित करनेवाला) है, और अपने ही शुभ अशुभ अर्थात अच्छे बुरे कर्मो का साक्षी है।

A man himself is his friend and himself is his foe. A man himself is a witness to his actions either good or bad.  


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Little drops of water

Man, the crown of God’s creation !

Put on shoes than to carpet the earth !