The cobbler's boots



Once upon a time, there was a cobbler who was very busy. He lived in a large village and was the only cobbler in town, so he was responsible for repairing the boots of everybody else.

However, he didn’t have time to repair his own boots. This wasn’t a problem at first, but over time, his boots began to deteriorate and fall apart. While he worked feverishly on the boots of everyone else, his feet got blisters and he started to limp.

His customers started to worry about him, but he reassured them that everything was OK.
However, after a few years, the cobbler’s feet were so injured that he could no longer work and no-one’s boots got repaired.

As a consequence, soon the entire town started to limp in pain, all because the cobbler never took the time to repair his own boots.

I wrote this to illustrate a simple principle that is so often disregarded. If I don’t look after own self, after a while I’ll be no good to anyone else either. My best intentions will mean nothing and I’ll be unable to do what I am meant to do.

This goes for pastors, leaders, social workers, teachers even parents and everyone. If I don’t take the time to care for myself, no-one else will. I’m not talking about living a self-absorbed existence. I’m talking about making sure that I have the energy and focus required to sustain my performance in the years ahead.

I’m talking about fixing own boots. Am I looking after myself ? If I keep going without making any changes, will I eventually burn-out?

*****
We can't drink from an empty cup. When we help others; if we forget to help own self, it loses the real meaning. When we understand self, change self, the life shines. Enlighten the inner lantern !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out in the fields with God

Turn fortune, turn thy wheel

Life